Friday, October 18, 2013

Eating in Ximending

Every time we emerge from the Ximen MRT Exit 6, it just "feels like home" [quote Nettie] LOL. I don't know how to explain why an overly crowded walking street can feel like home, but somehow it just does. And somehow in Taipei, we always just choose places to stay in Ximending because it's just so vibrant and nice soaking in that young atmosphere. We have our favourite food stalls that we visit all the freaking time. Like why try something new when you've found the love of your life HAHA.

Like the most yummy 卤味 pushcart...We seriously eat it every night: Radish, mushrooms, PRINCE NOODLES...yum. (Don't know the name, it's one of the pushcarts in front of the cinema, opposite the big carpark)
The 豪大大雞排 is one of a kind, no other franchise in the world can beat it. I've tried it in Hong Kong and Singapore, but they really can't compare to the original Taiwanese chicken. (right smack in the middle of Ximending on Hanzhong Street, can't miss it!)
And how can you miss out 阿宗面线! Don't need to introduce this right, super good! (8~1 Emei Street)
 For ultimate slurping good 卤肉饭加荷包蛋, I recommend 天天利美食坊!You can also try the Taiwan style oyster omelette, but I'm not a fan, I much prefer Singapore's version. (No 1, Lane 32, Hanzhong Street)
Too many snacks and feeling thirsty? Cross the street from 天天利 to grab a cup of bittergourd juice. The name itself scares you right, but it actually is really creamy and nice. They mix the juice with a tad of honey, and it'll have you hooked from sip one! (End of Hanzhong Street)

*Tip: the one at the end of the street for some reason has better fengshui than the store next to it and always has a long Q. Do yourself a favor and visit the store next to it, it tastes exactly the same.
Do you love mash potatoes?  Cheese? Cheese AND mash potatoes? Then you MUST try 王子起士馬鈴薯 . I myself am not a huge dairy fan, but the cheese sauce is not too overpowering, and once you start eating this it's very addictive! (49~3, Emei Street)

*Tip: the muachee store next to it always has a super long queue, but it actually is not  nice at all, don't waste your time!!
If it's windy and rainy and you feel a little cold, go to the Toilet Restaurant for some Kimchi hotpot soup. Weird right...I mean I tried 王媽臭臭鍋 for super cheap hotpot, but I find myself returning to "the toilet" instead LOL. Don't bother trying anything else at the restaurant, it really is a novelty place and only worth coming back for the Kimchi hotpot. Sumpa, it's good! (No 7, Lane 50, Xining South Road)
If you're really famished, give 烧匠 a visit. This all-you-can-eat BBQ and steamboat place is every guy's (and girl's) favorite, delicious meat (all kinds of meat, all parts of meat) and seafood cooked over a charcoal grill, or boiled in flavourful herbal soup. The soup alone is worth a visit, none of that tasteless watery broth you find in Singapore, it's good quality double-boiled soup! The normal menu costs about TWD500+ per pax. There also is an option of a premium menu with items like scallops, costing slightly more. Wash it down with freeflow Taiwan beer. Mmm mmm. (98~4, Kunming Street)
On my last trip I accidentally discovered a super good ramen place, the broth is TO DIE FOR. So smooth I was craving for it once I woke up from my nap after we arrived. (樂麵屋, 25 Kunming Street)
And how can I forget my favorite 牛肉麵! Although I'm not a fan of beef brisket and what not, but I like the consistency and texture of the noodles, together with the flavourful soup. (老王記牛肉麵, 15 Taoyuan Street)
Drink lots of bubble tea! It's cheap and A MILLION TIMES nicer than all the teas in Singapore combined. My favorites are Oolong Honey Tea and anything with Yakult in it :D Be adventurous and try some flavours not available in Singapore, like Sake Milk Tea (was really yummy!)
Last but not least, when you still feel peckish at the end of the night....go to 7-11 or Family Mart and buy up the impressive selection of instant bowl noodles. You can also add a hot tea egg to go with it. Hands down go to bed peaceful and fat.
You must be really hungry now after reading this, so enjoy your meal! Stay tuned for my next post on where to stay in Ximending! :D 

No comments: