Monday, February 9, 2015

All Roads Lead to Rome


Took a little detour from Amsterdam to Rome after our company's annual meetings. We chose Rome for a couple of reason, 1)we've never been to Italy, 2) it's comparably warmer to the rest of Europe this time of year and 3) I wanted to gorge myself crazy on pizza and pasta.

We stayed near the Pantheon at Delsi Suites - literally steps away from the busy square! Even though the buzz was downstairs, the accommodation was really peaceful and quiet and the location was excellent! It's literally a 10-20 minutes' walk to other attractions, and a 30 minutes' walk to the Vatican City. Yes, Rome is a super walkable city, we did not step into a tram or bus or train the whole 5 days we were there.

Here are some of the nice sights we caught - the sky was super blue and nice! Photographer's dream! The architecture and sculptures everywhere really made me understand why people say Rome is like a living museum. 


The entire trip was really smooth and relaxing, a pity we fell sick after snowfall in Amsterdam but we still managed to walk the routes and enjoy gelato and sunshine. I really did not know what to expect, so I only set one objective - which was to eat REAL Italian food. Hence all the googling and getting restaurant tips from my Roman colleagues which I really appreciated.

You would think you can walk into any random and get good pasta, I beg to differ. The only time I did not follow a recommendation did not turn out very well indeed *oops*.  One big tip I learnt as well was to have a back-up list of restaurants whenever you visit an area. More than once the restaurant we wanted to visit was closed (when it wasn't supposed to be!) and we had to seek alternatives. Boohoo thankfully 90% of our meals were good!


In Rome we also started each morning with a nutella (they love nutella!) croissant and a cappuccino, and then have interspersing cups of coffee at coffee bars throughout the day. 

No comments: