Saturday, November 1, 2014

Hello from Harajuku


#livinginharajuku

Good morning, it rained last night so I awoke to clear skies and birds singing. In our small kitchen, the smell of freshly brewed drip coffee permeates the entire studio apartment we are staying at. It's amazing, how many things can functionally fit into this small space, and it's so inspiring for us as we love to daydream and plan on our future house.

Yesterday was Halloween, and we spent some time on the streets of Shibuya soaking up the atmosphere, me being snap-happy and her protecting me from behind so my backpack is safe. Walking into a random cafe and having the most mind-blowing affogato ever. Seeking that one-year craving for a particular bowl of udon from a very very hidden store we happened to find the last time - and just closing my eyes and going mmmmmmmm from the very first spoon.

All that in half a day. Tokyo you amaze me. It's not overwhelming, when you're experiencing it you're not lost to new sensories and sights; but when sitting down to reflect, that's when the wonderfulness of it all envelops you.

Last year this time, I was here as well. And I told my friend I couldn't live here as wonderful as it seems, it's too busy for me, I would get so exhausted having to deal with everything Tokyo has to offer. It was my first time in Tokyo then on a business trip staying in a business hotel and entertaining with colleagues every single night.

This year though, I came with the aim of spacing out for 11 days after an especially stressful month. Looking very hard for the perfect apartment so I could really experience living here like a local without the niceties of a hotel. I might even try cycling around - I'm deadly afraid of other cyclists though. Waking up naturally, coffee on rooftops, time to blog. Time for me.

Today we have agreed to do the laundry, and then get a crash course in sorting our garbage - the Japanese are OCD (in a good way) about separating recyclables and burnables.  Then we are going to meet Mao for one of the best brunches in Omotesando - just looking at the menu she sent me made me salivate! And then, who knows? I'm sure Tokyo has something in store for us anyway.

No comments: