Monday, November 5, 2012

Cafe Review: Selfish Gene Cafe

It was raining throughout the whole weekend, but that didn't stop us from going out to get some good food for brunch on Saturday. It's sorta like a comfortable habit we've acquired - My phone will ring on Sat/Sun mornings and it's an invitation from one of the girls to go out to this cafe or that restaurant. Or sometimes I will get this insatiable craving for this that or another and I'll crazy text everyone to meet up.

This week we went back to a familiar haunt - Selfish Gene Cafe @ Craig Road, Tanjong Pagar. The first time we went there was really coincidental. We had wanted to try out The Plains, but the air conditioning there had broken down, it was a really hot day, so we left to try SGC a few doors down.

When you walk in, you see the "mission" : Gene is Selfish because he will not serve food he will not eat! And indeed, it does serve one of the best beverages and food in Singapore (in my opinion). Good quality bread and sausages, thick hot chocolate, really chill decor and good free Wi-Fi. People there usually order one dish and one drink to try, and then land up ordering more, and staying there for 3 hours with 3 drinks each. As did we, haha.

I'm not getting paid to write this, I just really appreciate that I can get what I expect every single time I visit, and I hope the standard will not drop (as it does in many cafes once they get popular).

No comments: