Friday, August 30, 2013

+66 Filling our tummies



Greetings! Bangkok is known as a shopping and food paradise. As I already explained in the last post that I'm not a crazy shopper (at least not in Bangkok, can't say the same on taobao), we spent quite a lot of time nomming on all the crazy nice food / refreshing coconuts!

Since I'm already on the topic of eating, the breakfast spread at the hotel was super sumptuous and I had something new to try everyday! Pancakes, waffles, charsiewbao, naan, sushi, cereal, soup noodles you name it, I had it! I remember I had 3 chocolate donuts and hashbrowns on the last day before check-out -_- However, I only captured 1 shot of my food, so there you go fried egg white with cheese, a croissant and tomatoes.
 
 
Prior to the trip, I had read on many other blogs on their café adventures in Bangkok, but the cafes seemed to be in off-the-track locations (you gotta understand me damn lazy). So imagine my delight when I realized that Siam Center housed a couple of them all under one roof! Siam Center is directly linked from Siam BTS Station.

The malls in Bangkok are very very stylish and the design themes flow from shop to shop. I think it's very important for the consumer to understand the concept of the mall he/she is visiting, and that's the major reason why Iluma failed and Bugis+ is thriving. In Siam Center, even the toilets are super stylish (although you can only find toilets on levels 4 and basement, so don't hold your bladder there!).


As we had a heavy breakfast at the hotel, we shopped around a little bit before lunch. All major brands are available at Siam Center, which is also sort of linked to Siam Paragon and MBK in case you get bored.

For lunch we went to the much blogged-about Greyhound Café. It's so famous now it even has a branch in Hong Kong, but that day we were at the original branch. There was a queue since it was lunch time, so we waited close to 30 minutes for a table. Lots of Singaporeans around us too haha. With affordable prices, great ambience and yummy flavours, I can see why this outlet is so popular with both tourists and locals alike.

 
Happily nomming on the free warm bread with unsalted butter. Also in this picture spot the prawn bisque and refreshing lychee shake!

The whole purpose of this trip was the chicken wings! Tasty but it tastes like har chiong kai to me. I found it easy to eat and rather addicitive!


The star of the day, however, was Nettie's scallops served with pesto on a bed of mash potato. It cost less than SGD20 and look at the size of the scallops! Albeit it could have been a teeny bit more flavourful but for the price I don't think you can get such standards in Singapore.


We shared everything as we didn't want to overeat. But after lunch, I couldn't resist going just down the corridor to Mr. Jone's Orphanage for desserts!! It's really the cutest place ever and so whimsical it hurts, but my conclusion, that's the only selling point. The desserts only LOOK nice but the taste is meh. I chose the apple pie with vanilla ice cream - it was a little bland but on the positive side it wasn't sweet haha. Nettie smartly stuck to free water. Come visit for picture purposes only. Desserts cost about SGD4-6 per serving.

 
Some other random meals we had - steamboat at MK and coconuts everywhere I walked. I don't remember being such a fan of coconuts ever, maybe because the coconuts in Singapore suck. But in Bangkok, especially the small ones by the roadside are really sweeeet, I want one now!!

No comments: