Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Cafe Review: Stranger's Reunion

Was craving for waffles last weekend, and so happened to chance upon an article about Cafes, which behold, showed a waffle picture at Strangers' Reunion. Had heard about this café before and saw it on my instagram feed, but hadn't had the chance to visit yet. So I rounded up my pals and we went a hunting for it.

It's a little out of the way, but still within walking distance from Outram Park MRT Station. It's along a row of shophouses, and we almost walked past it as the sign wasn't that obvious. I read that the café had taken over another unit and was newly renovated. Décor was very industrial chic and Scandinavian-inspired, as are most cafes in Singapore. It was packed and true to its name, many strangers were forced to sit together. But we managed to get a table for 4 eventually!
I zoomed in on the buttermilk waffles, because that was my craving! We also ordered a portion of truffle fries and sliders. For drinks, we ordered a cup of Magic (apparently the ratio of coffee to milk is perfect in this little cup) and 2 iced mochas. Each table gets a jug of iced tap water, which is refillable. So if you're really thirsty, or someone in the group doesn't want to spend 7 bucks on coffee, you know there's water haha.
 

Conclusion: there was no magic in the Magic, according to Nigel. The iced mocha was a tad too bitter. The sliders were huge but seriously in need of some salt. The truffle fries were quite nice, and the winner was the waffles! It was really quite good! Almost every table had a plate of waffles on it. It was thick yet fluffy and hit all the right buttons. I think we gobbled it down within 5 minutes. Here's another photo I took via instagram:

A funny thing also happened at Strangers' Reunion...I actually got reunited with a Primary school classmate who I haven't seen in almost 15 years (almost a stranger)! LOL. Apt name really. She's working at the café and looks really cool with her tats and all, I almost did not recognize her. I kept thinking that this girl is really familiar looking, but I wasn't sure because she looked so different! And guess what, she liked my waffle photo on instagram cos I had checked in to the café, and I immediately recognized her name and got in touch with her. Like wtfomgbbq the world works in strange ways.
 
---
 
Anyway after our waffles and coffee we took a little stroll at the Blair Road, Everton Park area where all the super nice conservation houses are. Even peeked in to several, like if I had the money, I would stay there in a heartbeat!! Loooove conservation houses!
 
Then we were deciding what to do for dinner (ya above was a snack only haha), and walked past Shin Manbok on Neil Road. We previously had tried Manbok on Tanjong Pagar Road, and it seemed like the same place, so we happily trooped in. Owners are Korean, and I could practice my little chapalang Korean there haha, cheap thrills. Korean BBQ is always good as usual, but for some reason, we were all a little nauseous after that. I think we had breathed in too much of the gas from the BBQ stove :S *queasy*

No comments: