Thursday, October 30, 2014

Mind over Matter


I recently read this article on how age is simply a state of mind...literally. Eight seniors in their 70s were invited to enter a time portal back to 1959! It was a house decorated in the style of that age, with items - books, newspapers, music, old programs showing on a black-and-white TV - from that era. The seniors were told to not just imagine and reminisce they were back in the age, but to really embody and inhibit the whole experience. And guest what, when compared to another group of senior who did not get that experience, they showed sat taller, had improved sight, showed greater manual dexterity and even "looked younger" to observers. 

It really brings the message home about "mind over matter". For centuries people have underestimated the power of the mind and how having the right mindset or thinking in a positive manner will have obvious effects on your body and your surroundings.

I'm rambling about this because I was really feeling some stress over the last few weeks - couldn't sleep well, or even in my sleep I'm dreaming of work. And reading this just made me realise all this stress is probably self-inflicted. It's like if I have a bad hair day, Nettie tells me it's just in my head. Nobody else will notice. A funny story about my hair - it was annoying me and I just flipped it up and it was oily so it stayed, and somebody came up to me and said: "I love your hair, how does it stay like that?" I almost chocked on the cake I was munching.

I'm off to Tokyo tonight. In any case, I'm determined to just relax, have fun and work hard while at it. Seek that passion that ignited the flame in the first place, find the reason why I love doing what I do.

No comments: