Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Pink and Proud

It's been 3 years since I've moved out from home. I know many who have moved out in anger, in tears, with regret and words left unspoken. I'm living proof that this does not have to be the case.
 
I moved out with hope, with happiness, with a smile on my face, with the blessing of my mum, with faith that if I could do this, I could do anything I set out to do. I moved out feeling so loved.
 
As with many things in life, communication is key. Many think that just by saying what they feel, they have communicated. No. Communication is 2-ways. You have not communicated until the other party has responded, until you have both listened to each other, until you have both found common ground to agree. Communicate with love, not hate. Communicate to understand, not to defy. Communication takes time and courage, and it doesn't have to be with words, but sometimes with actions.
 
For me, I communicate much more with my mummy through Facebook (yes I've added her and she stalks my page like no tomorrow), through Whatsapp, and am spending quality time at our weekly dinners. Coming out doesn't mean to be flamboyant and to flaunt your sexuality in others' faces. I came out just once before I moved out, and we have stayed silent on the subject since then, because I understand that they would feel more comfortable that way. Like my mummy says, "You twitch your backside one inch I will already know what you are thinking." So it's enough for me that I am accepted and Nettie is accepted as part of the family. Nettie is now included in our family holiday plans, and in any holiday event or birthday celebration reservations are always made for 6 not 5.
 
One day, my mummy will dress in pink and come with me to Pink Dot, but for me now, that is enough. Enough to know that I am still loved.
 
Share your story with me if you will, and let's get inspired by each other. If not, see you at Pink Dot 2013, save the date!
 

No comments: