Thursday, April 22, 2010

PINK DOT 2010!

Pweety pweety rainbow necklace, but tad pricey over $50. Nice to look at though!

Baby and I were discussing about "coming out" in Singapore after reading the Pink Dot article (click here). Now that I'm "out" so called, I feel so much lighter at heart and last night I could even text my mum "I'm staying over at Jeanette's tonight" without much hesitation. It feels good, to not have any skeletons in the closet, to be honest with yourself and the people you love.

She said all it takes is a simple change of mindset. And I agree. But changing is easier said than done. Many people do not wish to hurt their parents' feelings, or feel that they let their family down by being gay. Especially in our Asian climate where we are so subject to the expectations of society and having to save "face" for our family. I know of gay friends who bring fake girlfriends home during Chinese New Year just to put up appearances.

My thinking is this. The sooner you are honest, the sooner they will get hurt (cos they're going to get hurt anyway), the more time you have left to mend the relationship and let them get to know the real you. Ain't it?

The sooner you clear the air, the less time they have to jump to conclusions and blame themselves. Being gay is not a disease, it's just a difference just like how boys are different from girls. We're all still human, and we're all still our parents' child. Why let them love a lie, when they can love the truth? From my talk with my mother, she just wants me to be happy and lead a responsible life. She understands that I'm an adult now and can make my own decisions for myself. She's seen me make some horrible decisions, made some noise but ultimately let me suffer the consequences, and since she is giving her support now, I think perhaps I'm doing something right for a change.



No comments: